GRABOUW / ELGIN...
The Elgin Valley is arguably one of South Africa’s most beautiful areas. Stretched out between the Groenland and Kogelberg mountains, it’s an outdoor paradise. Discover a playground of bike tracks, trails and hikes for everyone from toddlers to professional athletes. Zip-line over fynbos and waterfalls; swim, fish, canoe or cruise down a river; picnic or relax in the sunshine. Elgin’s specialist adventure organisers will assist you in making the most of your natural surrounds. Abundant bird life can be spotted throughout the area while night-time drives often reveal owls, wild cats and small deer.
Check into a bell tent or Airstream trailer to ‘glamp’, or relax in a rustic farmhouse with fire crackling in the grate or on the braai. Stay in a B&B among the orchards, a wooden cabin beside the river, or tumble into a country home with the whole family and friends.
THINGS TO DO:
- Test yourself on some of the most demanding single-track mountain bike routes found all over the Grabouw and Elgin Valley area. The valley is host to Africa’s first bike hotel, Trail’s End, which is a magnet for adventure junkies.
- Experience the indigenous flora, fauna and birdlife on a nature walk.
- Take a personalised tour or select wine farms to do some wine tasting on your own. For more about Elgin’s wine experience, visit http://www.winesofelgin.co.za.
- Experience the adventure of a lifetime with Cape Canopy Tours, a guided nature zipline through the Hottentots Holland Mountains.
- Visit the beautifully designed Elgin Railway Market. It’s really something special, and everyone should make a stop here at least once for good food, good company and an even better experience. On weekends, the Ceres Rail Company offers a day trip to the Elgin Railway Market via a three-hour steam train journey from the Royal Cape Yacht Club in Cape Town.
- Find out what modern-day brandy makers have to offer, following time-honoured traditional techniques with a new twist at Oude Molen Distillery – or taste and learn more about making cider.at one of the many cider makers in this lush apple country.
- Stop and treat yourself to the most mouth-watering homemade pies or breads at Peregrine Farm Stall.
- Experience a rare musical treat in an open-air amphitheatre encircled by massive trees at Paul Cluver Wine Estate.